Tuesday, May 11, 2010

New Cookbook

It has been awhile since I wrote.  Guess I was waiting for inspiration. . .and I found it!  While at a friend's house I started looking through  Michael Chiarello's Casual Cooking.  The more I looked the more intrigued I became.  Now I want to make most of the recipes in there and talk about them.  No, this is not going to be another Julie and Julia.  It will be more like my take on Casual Cooking.  Here is my first attempt - but I forgot to take a picture!

Chicken with Rosemary and Lemon Salt

3 chicken quarters
1 teaspoon (or a little more) grated lemon zest
1 teaspoon (or a little more) chopped fresh rosemary
1 teaspoon gray sea salt
Black pepper

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees (or 425 if you are using a convection oven).

Rub the chicken down inside the skin and out with olive oil.  Cut the lemon just zested into rounds.  Oil a roasting pan and lay the lemon slices on the bottom of the pan.

Mix the zest, rosemary and sea salt together.  Rub on the chicken under the skin and on the outside of the skin.  Place on top of the lemon slices.

Roast in the oven for 15 minutes.  Reduce the oven temperature to 425 (or 400 if convection) and continue roasting until the juices run clear.  (Check after 15 minutes, then adjust time accordingly).

This was amazing.  The recipe called for a whole chicken but I didn't have one.  That is why these recipes will continue to be my take on Michael's ideas!

No comments:

Post a Comment